Re: remove time-stamps to make files more VCS friendly

On 12/13/2012 01:00 PM, Kaspar Bumke wrote:
> In the .sch files the lines look like this
>
> EESchema Schematic File Version 2  date Tue 11 Dec 2012 20:41:50 GMT
>
> and
>
> Date "11 dec 2012"
>
> I am pretty sure that there are similar ones in the .brd and .lib
> files and others. They are the ones that get updated everytime the
> files are saved.
>
>> Also, we probably should be only talking about the *.kicad_pcb format only.  The older one
> will fall into dis-use soon.
>
> I guess I don't know if a similar thing is planned for the new format
> and now would be a good time to discuss it.

Yes, just save your board with the save as menu, but before you do, pick the "file type"
in the filename dialog as *.kicad_pcb, then get a good look.

I think there's a good argument for a configuration setting, as to whether this is
"save-date" included.

Timestamps have another meaning, let's rather use "save-date".

So we can either a) remove them, b) make their presence configurable, or c) do nothing.

Jean-Pierre, what is your opinion?

a) is easiest.