Re: Python scripting cmake build macros.

On 1/14/2013 3:12 AM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> It's two different problems,
>
> 1) the fixswigimports.py fix the way swig (inside pcbnew.py) loads
> pcbnew.so/pyd <http://pcbnew.so/pyd> internally, the swig generated .py
> has problems to support "internal" (inside your own program) object
> bindings. It's documented, but not widespread used. We fix it to make it
> work in both cases, when doing "import pcbnew" from inside an
> scripting-pcbnew  and when doing import pcbnew from
> standalone/commandline python.
>
> 2) At the time we started with scripting, I raised some discussion about
> this topic, and thought that python2.x has more widespread library
> support (compared to python 3 advantages).

I'll take a look at it and see if I can make the KiCad scripting work on
Python 2 & 3.  I may have to write some creative CMake code to get it to
work but it should be possible.

I have a quick question regarding the KICAD_SCRIPTIN_WXPYTHON option.
When this option is enabled, is wxPython.h included in any of the SWIG
generated code.  I did quick grep of the scripting folders and didn't
see wxPython.h included anywhere so the only other place I can think
that it would end up is in the SWIG generated code.  If it's not, that
will make life a whole lot easier.  If it is, building wxPython on
Windows to install the development files is proving to be painful.

> It's also true, that, if we made the move now, and having phoenix in
> place, it could be less disruptive if we find ourselves forced to move
> into python3 at some moment in time.
>
> Anyway, that most probably would force us to move our wrappers into SIP
> and get the both "wrappings" (internal wrapping, external wrapping).
>
> I'm not really opposed to do it, or do some testing, but I'm really
> concerned about:
>
> 1) SIP support (no so widespread support at swig, that will let us work
> with other languages too)
> 2) SIP internal/external wrapping
> 3) Phoenix real support. (is it only a test branch or will it be
> supported in time?, it could also become the main branch at some time..)

Even if Phoenix becomes the default way to build wxPython, I see no
reason to switch from SWIG to SIP.  SWIG gives use the opportunity to
support other scripting languages.  SIP appears to be a Python only code
generator.

> 4) My time has become a little scarce: I have challenging big projects
> for this year, and also a new (first) daughter, which I love, but it's a
> time black hole 8]

There is no better way to spend your time than with your family.