LAYER_NUM

>From layers_id_colors_and_visibility.h:

/* NOTE: the idea here is to have LAYER_NUM and LAYER_MSK as abstract
 * type as possible (even if they're currently implemented as int and
 * unsigned int, respectively). In this way it would be reasonably easy
 * to overcome the current 32 layer limit. For example switching to a 64
 * bit mask or even some kind of bit array */

/* Layer identification (layer number) */
typedef int LAYER_NUM;

LAYER_NUM seems fully unnecessary.  int can hold 4 billion layer
numbers as it, so the comment is non-sensical.

I don't particularly think LAYER_NUM was helpful, and I had expressed
opposition to it when it was proposed 6 months or more ago.

We don't need a special type for each usageof an integer.

LAYER_MSK is a different story.

Follow ups