Re: PROPOSAL. Pcbnew anf GerbView layer names - can we improve them?

On 04/10/2013 09:16 AM, Fabrizio Tappero wrote:
> Hello,
> After a quick hystory check I noticed that in PCBNew (and in GerbView)
> and maybe in other places, the names for layers has changed quite a
> bit. Since I personally find (no offence) current naming a little
> short I'd like to propose some changes. Please forgive me if I am
> saying something stupid.
>
> So here it goes, nn the left the current names and on the right my
> propositions. At the bottom I also would like to propose some minor
> name changes, please comment if you like.
>

> Copper Layers      ->  Signal Layers
> F.Cu                    ->  Top Copper
> B.Cu                    ->  Bottom Copper
> Inner1.Cu             -> Mid Copper 1
> Inner2.Cu             -> Mid Copper 2
>
> Technical Layers    -> Non-copper Layers (or Mechanical Layers or
> Non-signal Layers)
> F.Adhes                 -> Top Adhesive
> B.Adhes                 -> Bottom Adhesive
> F.Paste                 -> Top Solder Paste
> B.Paste                 -> Bottom Solder Paste
> F.SilkS                 -> Top Silkscreen
> B.SilkS                 -> Bottom Silkscreen
> F.Mask                 -> Top Solder Mask
> B.Mask                 -> Bottom Solder Mask
> Dwgs.User             -> Drawings
> Cmts.User                 -> Comments
> Eco1.User                 -> Extra 1
> Eco2.User                 -> Extra 2
> Edge.Cuts                 -> Edges
>
> These changes will also imply the following changes:
>
> Through Via       -> Through Vias
> Bl/Burried Via     -> Blind/Burried Vias
> Micro Via           -> Micro Vias
> Pads Front         -> Top Pads
> Pads Back         -> Bottom Pads
> Text Front          -> Top Text
> Text Back          -> Bottom Text
> No-Connects      -> Unconnected
> Modules Front    -> Top Components
> Modules Back    -> Bottom Components
> Values               -> Footprint Values
> References        - Footprint Names

As soon as the fp lib table support is in place, then we will have
access to the "pretty" footprint format for libraries.

*.mod files will begin to fade away, in favor of files stored under a
*.pretty directory.

The pretty format uses names for layers rather than numbers as in the
past.  These layer names have no reference to any board, since they
are footprints standing alone.

Also, to make a "layer set", we have to list the name in sequence, so
the length of those names become an issue in such a case.

This is all done and code, and it is not going to change.  So "no" is
the answer to all of the above suggestions.

> Here few questions to who knows the answers:
> 1) why is now a top layer named "Front Layer" and not "Top Layer". I
> guess the anwer has to do with the "Select Layer Pair" Menu. I think
> this menu can still stay.... even though I do not really see its use.

The Specctra DSN file format standard document used front and back
terminology.  This was an industry standard format that played role in
my argument for using front and back, rather than top and bottom.

It was a choice made about 4 years ago, one I argued for and still
support.

I think the layer name issue comes into play for your boards only,
where you can name your copper layers on your boards the way you
want.  However for the upcoming pretty libraries, you will get the
names like F.Cu, etc.

> Comments:
> 1) Applying these names the PCBNew "Layer Manager Toolbar" which maybe
> should be called "Layer Manager" becomes larger and this might upset
> Kicad mobile phone users. To satisfy them too, I'd like to propose a
> smaller font and padding for it. This will maybe take up just few
> pixels more than the current solution.
>
> Can I please have your feedback guys before I just into this patch.
>
> Best regards
> Fabrizio
> PS I'd like to be honest, to find some inspiration for this name thing
> I had a look at gEDA, Protel and Altium naming conventions.

Yeah, but I bet they don't have "*.Cu" either.  What could be more
concise than that?

The main point is I put a lot of work into this, and am not currently
amenable to any changes.