Re: Text module in legacy plugin

Le 11/04/2013 15:57, Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :
On 04/09/2013 01:01 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 04/09/2013 03:28 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
Found this in loadMODULE_TEXT:

     if( layer < FIRST_LAYER )
         layer = FIRST_LAYER;
     else if( layer > LAST_NON_COPPER_LAYER )
         layer = LAST_NON_COPPER_LAYER;
     else if( layer == LAYER_N_BACK )
         layer = SILKSCREEN_N_BACK;
     else if( layer == LAYER_N_FRONT )
         layer = SILKSCREEN_N_FRONT;

(didn't check if it's the same for the new format)

Is there a reason for not allowing text on front and back copper?

Jean-Pierre, Wayne, et. al.

If I can broaden this topic somewhat, this type of on the fly board
change (during loading) falls into a general category of "doctoring a
board during loading".   Let's call it "board doctoring".

Generally it makes me nervous, even though it may have its place.

I suggest that we raise the threshold under which we would do board
doctoring to a higher level of criteria.

For low value fixes it is best simply to ask the user to hand edit his
board file.

Board doctoring makes it harder to:

a) use hand edited boards to gainfully do an end run around a weak
user interface and achieve a more full featured board manufacturing.

b) track down editing bugs, because they can be masked behind board
doctoring.

Board doctoring is a practice we should frown upon, and only use
reluctantly.

I do not remember why there is this code.
However I have 2 explanations:
1 - could be from legacy code of Pcbnew, when some things were not fixed (namely what is the meaning of a layer for a footprint, because it uses more than one layer: at least a copper layer and a technical layer (silkscreen) using a copper layer or a silkscreen layer is just a convention to code the board side used by the footprint. 2 - could be added to fix broken libs, mainly fully broken lib from eagle. I remember the code to read libs was modified to fix issues reported by users.

I fully agree this kind of code could be dropped.
We can expect files saved by Kicad do not have issues (and only fix them if any). We cannot expect to fix all strange things coming from external tools. this is not possible.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS