Re: Shouldn't the template go in the library repo?

On 12 April 2013 20:30, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/11/2013 02:35 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> > The templates have nothing to do with the code base... in fact they
> > *depends* on the component library...
> >

> Not a bad idea, maybe we'd get more templates that way.
>
> I used a template yesterday and it came with its own library, so your
> statement about
> depending on libraries is iffy.
>
> We could ask that schematic parts and footprints be placed into stock
> libraries, but I
> think that inhibits the creation of templates by third parties that won't
> want to commit
> them into the library source tree that we have.
>
> A blended strategy has folks submitting templates which include their own
> libraries, and
> over time we consolidate those libraries into a more permanent home say
> once per year or so.
>

> But I agree that these should go into the library tree.  :)
>
> Because we will get more of them.  BTW, the template BOARD is of great
> value.
>

> Brian, what are your thoughts?

I think moving the templates to the library repo will encourage more to be
created. I tend to make templates with libraries too rather than using the
KiCad libs; But I think the library repo is definitely a better place for
them to reside.

Best Regards, Brian.