Re: Was: page selection dialog, everybody please comment

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 05:45:33AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> We might do well as a team by slowing down and focusing on reliability and
> quality not features for awhile.  Firstly, the bugs are damaging to the
> project.

Using the user visible string as an index *is* a bad practice and a bug
in the user view. Why not replacing it with a simpler enumeration? The
whole one-class-for-paper format is also debatable when a simple array
would suffice (like for the color table array).

As for the layer number issue, as I already said, you're free to search
and replace it to int. I'll do it personally if you like it. Then you're
even free to use void* for every pointer in the project. Good luck then
finding when a layer is used instead of a simple counter (or something
which is not a layer is passed in, which actually occurred a few times
in the past). Also have fun with the two layer numbers encoded in
a single variable in the via class (obviously worth the 4 byte gain for
each via).

Other than that these are only design opinions (altough type safety is
generally considered a good thing) and everybody can do whatever he want
with his own code.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl