Re: Was: page selection dialog, everybody please comment

>>> As for the layer number issue, as I already said, you're free to search
>>> and replace it to int. I'll do it personally if you like it.

>> Thank you for that offer.   Since you were aware of my concern about LAYER_NUM ahead of
>> your commit, and the fact that I do not view that enum as helpful, I will accept your
>> offer, but only if I can convert you to my point of view.

:
:

>So, no, I'm still convinced that not calling a LAYER_NUM an int is
>a good idea, even if it's only to look for every place where a layer
>number is used...I have done that *a lot*.

OK then, I am making the "consultative decision" to allow this to stand then.

Lorenso, you were the only person consulted on this one.  Some amount of work was expended
by you.

The consultative decision process is described here:

  http://www.zingtrain.com/articles/decisions-part-i-choosing-a-decision-style/

While you are in this reference, see what Peter Drucker said:

“A decision is a judgment. It is a choice between alternatives. It is rarely a choice
between right and wrong. It is at best a choice between ‘almost right’ and ‘probably
wrong’ — but much more often a choice between two courses of action, neither of which is
provably more nearly right than the other.”

We should be prepared to have disagreement on other topics, and in such cases those
decisions may either be consultative decisions (possibly with disagreeable results to
you), or even in rare cases: command decisions.

But I think on this one we both made good efforts to reach a common point of view.  The
effort is probably a good practice, even though it seems painful at times.

The democratic decision making process is never used in this project, even though it may
feel like it is or has been to observers, non-participants.  The reason observers can be
fooled about this, is that the team is comprised of very respectful individuals, quality
individuals, who go out of their way to consult with others even though they may not
actually need to do so on a purely technical basis.  I am very proud to have helped
assemble such a quality team.

Dick