Re: Guidelines for KiROUND-ing

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 07:54:02PM +0200, Heiko Rosemann wrote:
> It might be in DRC situations - if you want 12mil clearance and
> calculate a distance of 11.6mil, the rounding will tell you you're
> fine, the truncation will show you are too close. I agree with you
> though in that there should be an explicit call to a truncation
> function (or macro or whatever) for code readability's sake.

More or less what I tought too. In fact within the DRC would be safer to
err on the other side (i.e. reject a 12.1mil) but that's another story.
In fact the 'truncation' is on the nanometer scale, currently so it
*shouldn't* give issues, unless for some evil coincidence a rounding
bias appears.

I'd say that 99% of the times KiROUND is appropriate (unless you want to
squeeze a tiny little bit of performance where it is not important, but
we're not at this level).

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl