Re: BZR "Rules"

On 05/30/2013 08:30 AM, Kerusey Karyu wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I applied "rules" to Bazaar as You suggest below:
>
>> Gang,
>>
>> Please put the attached file into your BZR_HOME directory and name it
> rules.
>>

> OK. I assume that these rules are strict for Kicad Developpers team who
> maintain the code and should respect the coding policy. But what about
> of library developers/commiters or doc writers/translators? Does it make
> some influence to us?

"rules" affects bzr as a program. If they are in play, then any repo accessed will be
subject to the rules in play.  Any bzr repo, kicad or not, testing, or lib.

Our "rules" work best when:

(A) the repo has LF for text file line endings, and
(B) working tree has "native" line endings.

Native means:
LF on linux/unix
CRLF on Windows

To get a repo to have LF line endings, requirement (A) above, take these steps:

0) put "rules" into affect
1) start in dir <lib-repo>
2) bzr up
3) cd ..
4) branch <lib-repo> lf-repo
5) cd lf-repo
6) bzr ci -m 'convert text files to LF endings in repo'
7) bzr push lp:~kicad-lib-committers/kicad/library

Never use push again.

You can now solve the library problem yourself, and others can fix their personal repos
likewise.

Dick

> Why I ask? As I previously said, I applied rules file (on Windows
> platform). After then I spent 3 hours to find why Bazaar Explorer in my
> Kicad libraries and Kicad doc branches reports some weird messages:
> multiple files were different, some in conflict, etc. while in the
> "diff" they look identical. Even if I remove - for instance - Kicad
> library tree from my local disk (together with bzr cache), and re-branch
> it from a scratch, there are still ~90 of file which have status
> "Modified" on a start!? Furthermore. I can't compile Kicad via Brian's
> Winbuilder script, just because of conflicts. :(
>
> Finally, I removed all branches, remove "rules" file and branch again
> Kicad sources, libraries and doc. The strange messages disappeared for a
> while. It allowed me to continue to work and not worry about it for now.
> Now I'm waiting for the further course of events or your statement about
> that. I have some symbols in queue to commit and new GUI translation,
> but I decided to stop right now.
>
> Regards
> Kerusey Karyu

Follow ups