Install KiCad on non Ubuntu distros - best way?

Hello,
I have updated the instructions to install KiCad on Debian and other distros...
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite

the whole process takes however veeeeery long time a lots of space.
Does any body knows a better way? I am not sure a direct link like
this
http://kicad.tuturutu.cz/

could be a solution because the software update process would be not
really automatic.

Is there any change we could add here:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:adamwolf/kicad-testing-daily

a non-ubuntu repo?

how about an install script for all linux distro? how about a check
for updates inside KiCad itself? ... just throwing ideas...

Cheers
Fabrizio

Follow ups