Re: FW: oudated version in distributions

On 07/11/2013 02:48 PM, Heiko Rosemann wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 09:04 PM, Alex G. wrote:
>> On 07/11/2013 09:06 AM, Milan Horák wrote:
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> Why are the distributions' versions of kicad so outdated?
>>> Like an year ago in Debian!
>>>
>> The version that is packaged is really at the packager's
>> discretion.
>
> That's the first and most important reason. The second reason
> probably is that kicad rarely "announces" stable versions, so a
> maintainer will have to closely follow the development process to
> keep up with the flow of new releases.

That's why it's preferable for the package maintainer to be directly
involved with upstream. Even when that is not the case, there are
systems in place to warn the maintainer [1].

> Most other software packages I have seen have certain "this is
> version 1, this is version 2, this is version 2.1" designations and
> announcements, even if version 1 really is svn commit 1231 and
> version 2 is commit 1865.

This might be a cause of latency.

>> Debian is very conservative when it comes to updating software.
>> I would not use them as the benchmark of how recent a package
>> is.
>
> And I fully agree on this as well. Though kicad in ubuntu is not
> any more up to date than in debian.

The kicad maintainers for ubuntu are visiting the space station.
They'll update kicad when they return.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_release_monitoring

Alex