SWEET/Library manager development

We have a library of something around 8000 parts
we have developed over the last twenty years for
Mentor BoardStation.  We are going to move away
from BoardStation this year, and one direction I'm
considering is Kicad.  Kicad's current library management
is pretty primitive, but the SWEET project specs look
very good.  When is the current expected arrival of
tools that implement the new library specification?
Are there any alpha or beta versions that I could play
with?  I'd like to write some scripts to convert a large
part of my Mentor library automatically.  I would be
happy to contribute the resulting Kicad library.

Thanks,
-- Ralph

Ralph Stirling
Project Engineer