Re: Interesting DLL Hell with SSL

On 4 October 2013 08:55, Maciej Sumiński <maciej.suminski@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> In fact it looks very strange.. I am just wondering - wouldn't it be
> easier to link OpenSSL as a static library? It may require a rebuild in the
> KiCad-Winbuilder, but then you will not have to care about stuff that users
> keep in Windows directory.
>
> Regards,
> Orson

Hi Orson,

While static linking would be a band-aid, it seems a bit poor to have to
resort to static linking, especially as the project is moving more towards
shared objects for everything.

Static linking will give us multiple copies of the same code which isn't
great (especially if the code requires large amounts of const data like
look-up tables the like), but also shared objects give us good code
separation.

I think we could in the future move to patching the OpenSSL vanilla source
and build it as part of the KiCad build (As has now been mentioned in
another thread). At that point we're in control of the library name. We
could call it libeay32-kicad.dll for example and we'll remove ourselves
from DLL hell. I'd prefer to head down this route in the future. It's right
that if we compile something, we get to name it.

Best Regards,

Brian.