Re: Cairo rendering backend

On 11/07/2013 07:11 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 11/07/2013 11:59 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 11/7/2013 12:36 PM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
On 11/05/2013 07:40 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 11/5/2013 4:33 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
Does anyone have anything against disabling switching (remove its hotkey
and menu entry) to Cairo backend? I think it may only give a bad
impression to users, as it is too slow for comfortable work. I am going
to maintain it in case that there are changes in the GAL, but as it was
said in the beginning - its main purpose is for PDF generation or
printing.

Regards,
Orson

I'm fine with disabling it.  It's not useful for display rendering even
on my home computer which is very fast.  I can't image how slow it must
be on an older system or laptop.  Is there any other reason to Cairo
rendering around?

It could be used as a fallback renderer, but right now it is too slow
for that, so - in fact, there is no sensible reason.

Regards,
Orson

Doesn't it make more sense to fallback to the wxDC rendering?  It's
known to work well except under certain conditions on OSX.  You cannot
perform any editing other than using the P&S router so I'm not sure that
it's very useful as a fallback.

Wayne

What is a fallback renderer?
i.e. when would it be used?

It could be used when OpenGL renderer does not work. I am not really sure if eg. Intel Atom integrated graphics is able to use it. I have seen a glewinfo report that states the GPU is compatible only up to OpenGL 1.4, which is 11 years old. I hope it was only an issue of having not appropriate drivers.

Regards,
Orson