Re: why printing support might become more important in the future

On 11/08/2013 11:46 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 10:03:02AM -0600, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>
>> There is conductive glue now.  Solder is not here to stay, necessarily.
>
> Tell me where they sell that glue. Now:D
>
> Questions: a) how do you align sides on consumer printers and b) how do
> you handle vias. Unless the process is strictly single face. Not many
> things can be done on single face these days...

Can you imagine a high tech perf board or substrate, without holes.
In place of holes you have a matrix of goodies build into the board, like a plugged via.
Every so often, put a matrix of about 16 (4x4) tightly clustered plugged vias.  Make each
plug have a different know resistor value, outer layer to outer layer.  Its a two layer
substrate only.

****    ****
****    ****
****    ****
****    ****

Assuming this could be manufactured cheaply, you could pick your resistor and transition
between layers, by tying any number of the 16 in parallel on the way through the
substrate.  There are a lot of resistor values in that matrix, way way way beyond 16.

This is the dopey "FPGA for resistors" mimic.

:)

Exactly the type of product needed to complement the high tech printer.   Might give HP or
somebody new life.

Throw in some caps like that too.  Make every 7 year old an electronics genius.  No
soldering needed.

Dick