Re: some unexpected errors while testing the CvPcb program

On 11/19/2013 5:23 PM, Edwin van den Oetelaar wrote:
> Testing library view in CvPCb.
> Latest bzr.
>
> EuroBoard_Outline
> View Selected Footprint window active.
> I have the 3D viewer open. (error does not happen when 3D is closed)
>
> Select:
> EuroBoard_Outline:EuroBoard160mmX100mm or
> EuroBoard_Outline:EuroBoard160mmX100mm_holes
>
> happens also with
> PFF_PSF_PSS_Leadforms:PFF_Leadform_5pins
>

> Get error message :
> -----
> IO_ERROR: Unable to find the next segment with an endpoint of (0 mm,
> -99.9998 mm).
> Edit Edge.Cuts perimeter graphics, making them contiguous polygons each.
> from /home/oetelaar/kicad_sources/kicad.bzr/pcbnew/specctra.cpp :
> ThrowIOError() : line 120
>
> Unable to calculate the board outlines.
> Therefore use the board boundary box.

I confirmed this.  All of these footprints are defined with an unclosed
PCB edge cut area.  That explains the 3D error about contiguous
polygons.  There is also PCB_LINE_T assertion in debug builds because
technically footprints are not allowed to have PCB edge cut layers.  At
some point, this will probably be fixed so that any PCB edge cuts will
be merged with the board edge cuts to create the final board outline.
As of right now, you are taking your chances by defining footprints with
PCB edge cuts.

> -----
>
> More serious (I think, something with the embedded slash char)
> Select: SMD packages
> Select: SMDHD/VF
>
> Get error message:
> -----
> IO_ERROR: lib table contains no logical lib 'VF'
> from /home/oetelaar/kicad_sources/kicad.bzr/common/fp_lib_table.cpp :
> FindRow() : line 592

Using path separators in module names was not an issue in the legacy
file format.  With the pretty format, it will cause the file path to be
incorrect.  I have it on my todo list to add filtering to prevent new
modules names from containing illegal file name and path characters.  I
will have to add this test when converting other library formats to the
pretty format.  My guess is this is what happened in this case.  For
now, we will have the fix them by hand as we come across them.
Hopefully there wont be too many of them.