Re: Next steps

On Nov 29, 2013, at 9:29 AM, Maciej Sumiński <maciej.suminski@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/28/2013 01:10 PM, Martijn Kuipers wrote:

>>> Never felt a need for copy/paste on a board... YMMV of course (perhaps
>>> for modular I/O stages or such?)
>>
>> I can see it be fun to be able to Cut & Paste from one board to another.
>> For instance, copy the switching power supply part as a whole.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>>
>> /Martijn
>
> Both could be good use cases, but now when I think about it, this is not as easy as it seemed to be in the beginning.
> As far as I know currently there is no back annotation (you cannot update schematics basing on a PCB file), so modules that were copied may introduce some disorder. They need nets to be connected to (this could be cloned, but I am not sure if that is the right way, especially in case of pasting parts from another board), value and reference (value could be copied too and reference could be just the next free number). The things may get more complicated when you reload .net/.cmp file - I think those parts can just disappear, as they are not in the list.

I agree. Following the example of the power supply, it indeed would be nice if we could, instead off copying the module, create a part that is the module and insert that into the schematics and board.

> I need to reconsider the feature again, maybe there are some good solutions to that.

I also see this as a feature and not a requirement.

Thanks for thinking of these features!

/Martijn