Re: Footprint library naming changes.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 01:48:15PM -0500, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> In order to prevent illegal file name characters when converting
> footprint libraries from legacy and eagle (and possibly others) to the
> PRETTY format, I modified Dick's original URL concept for illegal FPID
> characters to include all illegal file name characters.  In order to
> guarantee that PRETTY footprint files would be compatible across all
> platforms I had the use the Windows illegal file name character set
> (which includes the Linux and OSX characters sets).  This means that if

I already anticipated this problem when the FP table code was
introduced:D

> you have any legacy or eagle footprints with any of the characters
> \/:"<>|*? in footprint name, they will be converted to %xx where xx is
> the hexadecimal equivalent of the character when the library is loaded.
>  For example, if you have a footprint named FOO/BAR, it will be
> converted to FOO%2fBAR when loaded.  This will be the name that is

Agree with that. Why not simply use the 'official' URL rules on what
character will be/will not be escaped? Also what about case sensitivity
(the other big trouble with (file)names)?

As a technicality probably extended codes will come up UTF8 encoded (probable
source: eagle XML). AFAIK that's compatible with the URL concept.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl