Re: Development of IDFv3 export

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 09:24:15AM -0500, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> What is missing from the board file format that is required to export to
> IDFv3?  None the the other exporters required any changes to the board
> file format.  I'm not thrilled about the idea of changing the board file
> format just to satisfy exporting to another file format.

I already did some feasibility study a while ago, nothing is needed
(except some way to convey height information for the modules, if
wanted). Also if he picks the segment in the board instead of taking the
bounding box he will a) handle the more-common-than-you-think case of
nonrectangular boards and b) not need the 0.1mm reduction hack.

Every structure in the IDF3 is defined by wound polylines (board
counterclockwise, cutouts clockwise), each segment can be a line or
a circular arc segment. So nothing in pcbnew can't be represented in
IDF3 (some math required:D)

A better work could be done for holes, since IDF distinguish between
mechanical, tooling, via and pins... since an NPTH hole is definitely
a mounting hole, the only doubt is the plated hole (can be a pin or
a 'grounded' mounted). Heuristics could help, maybe. Or maybe simply
nobody cares about the difference (like for some things in gencad).

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl