Re: wxAui improvements.

On 12/9/2013 10:29 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 09/12/2013 15:06, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :

>>> Hi Wayne,
>>>
>>> It is a great idea to have dockable toolbars. I tested it with wxWidgets
>>> 2.8/Linux and the freshest wxWidgets 3.0 and in general it works fine
>>> and the position of toolbar is saved.
>>> One major problem I stumbled upon is that while using wx3.0, I somehow
>>> lost the toolbar and now I cannot recover it. It could be an issue of my
>>> window manager, but anyway - it could be good to have a menu where one
>>> can toggle toolbars visibility.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Orson
>>>

>> Hey Orson,
>>
>> You should not be able to close the footprint viewer tool bar.  I
>> intentionally have the close button disabled.  If you managed to close
>> it, then there is a bug in wxWidgets.  What platform and wxWidgets
>> version where you using when this occurred?  If I can duplicate it, I
>> might be able to fix it.  As I apply this to the other KiCad apps, I
>> will add menu entries to show tool bars that have been closed.
>> Unfortunately the footprint viewer does not have a menu so I may have to
>> do something about that in the future if we want to be able to hide the
>> tool bars.  Thanks for the help with testing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wayne
>
> I am using wxWidgets 3.0
> I do not have this issue.
> However I noticed 2 minor issues (both on Windows and Linux):
>
> 1 - When the footprint viewer tool bar is stored vertical, when the
> footprint viewer is reopened, the tool-bar is displayed horizontally,
> inside a large rectangle.
> To reproduce this: move the tool-bar tho the left side, to have it
> displayed vertically. then move it to the center of the windows. it is
> still vertical. Close and reopen the viewer: the toolbar is horizontal,
> inside a large square background.

It sounds like the wxAui perspective information is either not getting
saved or loaded correctly.  All of this is handled by wxAuiManager.  It
could also be a wxAuiPaneInfo configuration issue.  I'll see if I can
resolve these issues.

> 2 - the second issue is relative to the optional tool to the right side
> of the toolbar (the tool to import a footprint from the viewer to the
> pcb editor).
> It is a bit strange:
> * if the toolbar is docked vertical at the left side, it is always
> correctly displayed.
> * if the toolbar is docked horizontally, it is not always correctly
> displayed:
> if previously the viewer was opened from the pcb editor tool bar, and
> therefore with no import tool, when it is reopened from the footprint
> load dialog (load from viewer), the import tool is not displayed (it is
> still accessible from the overflow arrow)
> Slightly moving the aui toolbar restores the correct display.
> if you reopen the viewer from the main toolbar, the optional tool is not
> displayed (as expected) but its area is visible in the toolbar.
> (Slightly moving the aui toolbar restores the correct display again.)
>
> Looks like an incorrect toolbar size was forced when reopen it.

I did see the toolbar size problem when it was in the vertical
orientation and undocked from the main window.  I'm not sure what is
going on there.  Try deleting the ModViewFramePerpective
entry from the .pcbnew configuration file in you home folder and see if
that helps.  If I can't get it resolved, we may have to live with the
fixed tool bar positions until wxAui is more mature.

Thanks,