Re: Footprints licence

----- Original Message -----

 As an example, the GPLv3 claims to be "for software and other works" so I would avoid using any footprint with GPLv3. However, it is not clear to me whether a footprint copyright can be enforced or not - in principle it can, but how many sensible variations can you have on, say, a DIP6 footprint? If I converted an Eagle footprint, is this a derived work or not? Anyway, since it's not a clear case one way or the other it would be best to avoid the footprint.

 In my own work with parametric VRML models, the models are released with a permissive license (and no explicit copyright statement - something of an oversight) since for me nothing else makes sense unless I wanted to sell access to such models.  If KiCad is to distribute footprints etc, I think footprints should only be accepted if there are no GPLv3-like restrictions.

- Cirilo