proposed changes for inclusion of other 3D models

Hi folks,

 I believe we can accommodate various types of 3D models with minimal changes to the code base. Specifically, small changes to the class S3D_MASTER and the GUI for associating 3D parts. I propose that we allow the inclusion of other model types (at the moment only *.wrl and *.x3d are allowed). The 3D viewer and VRML exporter will then need minor changes so that they only process VRML and X3D files. The IDF exporter can then make use of any *.idf component footprint descriptions and in the future when we have some MCAD exporters they will be able to filter only the items they need in a similar fashion.

 This scheme should work since each type of exporter (VRML, IDF, MCAD) are only interested in unrelated models. If the user wants a VRML model as well as an IDF and MCAD model then the user merely has to associate more model files with the appropriate type and set the scale/offset/orientation of each.

 This work would allow users who need better IDFv3 support to create the relevant footprint files for inclusion in the IDF export; it also makes it possible for seamless addition of arbitrary MCAD exporters in the future.

 I realize that there are a few more issues which need to be resolved with the handling of 3D model files - for example the recent discussion about relative file paths (relative to what). I would suggest that the full file path be stored in the .kicad_pcb file and as Dick suggested an environment variable to act as the base for existing relative paths. I would also like to add the ability to use the github plugin (or something similar) to browse and retrieve models.

Any comments / suggestions?

- Cirilo

Follow ups