Re: Revisiting the Git decision

On 04/02/14 14:21, Adam Wolf wrote:
> I'd like to make a quick point:  producing a package for Kicad
> that works on all the Ubuntu flavors, works in both Python
> integration modes, *and* follows Ubuntu packaging policy is not a
> simple task.  I'm about 100 hours into it, maybe more, and while
> I'm just about finished, there is still plenty of work.  The
> packaging files used in the PPA were a maintainability nightmare,
> and I borrowed them from a previous attempt and eventually decided
> to start from scratch, with something that we could push upstream.
>
> Packaging something like Kicad on Windows/Mac/Linux is a thankless
> job. I helped Miguel just a bit with his Mac helper script and
> pretty much most every issue filed by someone who wasn't involved
> in its creation had disparaging remarks in it.

Sorry Adam - it wasn't meant as a disparaging remark. None of what I'm
trying to say here is meant as such - quite the opposite.

More what I'm saying is that it's natural for things to go out of date
- which is fine. Just watch out if there are old links hanging around
which could cause confusion to newcomers - as happened in my case.
That's all.

Thanks Again
Joel