Re: Revisiting the Git decision

> After reading Adam's last email, I think that a complete binary
archive/installer for all platforms would make sense (including our own
boost/wx libs, just like LibreOffice/Mozilla). Just unpack or run the
installer and enjoy!

Also, being able to update from inside the program itself is a really
beautiful thing. Maybe we could manage that with a Python plugin?

> Keep in mind that most of current and potential Kicad users aren't
hardcore programmers and/or hate compiling and installing software (like
myself). If getting Kicad to run takes more effort than install or pirate a
proprietary tool, we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

The thing that gets me most is usability. I've used Orcad and Altium, and
the library and project management element in Kicad is lacking. I can go to
text files and rearrange variables, but a user shouldn't have to. I will
put together or add to a blueprint for usability improvemets, in the hopes
that I (or someone more skilled) can make the package more intuitive.

> PS. Since Brian switched to Linux, do we have any native Windows
developers actively participating in Kicad? I have an impression that Kicad
is becoming more and more Linux-ish (for example: relying a lot on
environmental variables, shell scripts necessary to make stuff work)? If
there are any native Windows users on this list, I'm asking for your
opinion.

I am a Windows user. I haven't gotten Kicad to successfully compile without
serious heartache for several months. I run Kicad from a VM running Ubuntu.

I don't have the knowledge to fix Kicad winbuilder, but with Brian spending
more time on his house/life, I am hellbent on learning what it takes to
help out. Absolutely hellbent. I've been submitting errors as I come across
them, and I want to participate in fixing them.