Re: Patch: In eeschema: use unused hotkey 'Backspace' to be equivalent to 'Delete'

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Brian Sidebotham
<brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Henner,
>
> In EESCHEMA, under Preferences->Hotkeys->Edit Hotkeys, you can edit
> the hotkeys and set Backspace as the Delete function.
>
> However, I notice that changing the Delete function hotkey doesn't
> work. This in fact should be filed as a bug; So please file a bug
> report on Launchpad so it can be fixed, or else feel free to apply a
> patch that fixes this bug instead. The best method is to file a bug
> report on launchpad and issue a patch to fix it at the same time, but
> at least if there's a bug report someone else can maybe fix it before
> you get around to it.
>
> Thank-you for highlighting the issue.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Brian.
>
> On 5 February 2014 05:02, Henner Zeller <h.zeller@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> My notebook has a keyboard that doesn't have a 'Delete' key, only
>> 'Backspace'. This makes deleting objects in eeschema quite cumbersome as
>> this always requires to use the right-mouse button menu.
>>
>> Since 'Backspace' is not bound to anything in eeschema, this patch adds the
>> Backspace key to be equivalent to the Delete key: removing the object under
>> the cursor.
>>
>> View patch here:
>> https://github.com/hzeller/kicad/compare/master...delete-and-backspace-equiv
>>
>> Download patch here:
>> https://github.com/hzeller/kicad/compare/master...delete-and-backspace-equiv.patch
>>
>> Since I am new to this codebase, I am not sure if this is the right way to
>> add another hotkey or if there is better way to get this same functionality.
>> If everything is ok, then I'd be happy to see this added to upstream.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   -henner

If there isn't a binding for the backspace key might it also make
sense to have the default binding for 'delete item' be both backspace
and delete by default? In addition of course to fixing whatever bug
there is in the hotkey assignment.

Chris