Re: PATCH: making component choosing (much!) more usable

13/02/14 01:02, Cirilo Bernardo kirjoitti:
> [...]

Second that!

> I like the idea of the previews - but to save computation time on 3D model
> previews, I would suggest that we create PNG images which can be loaded.
> If the PNG image does not exist then generate one. In the case of 3D models
> an orthographic view is probably the best generic option. Some of the more
> detailed models can be several MB in size (easily 6MB for a simple model)
> so I suspect this can really slow things down when doing a preview without
> a precomputed view. The challenge then is deciding on an image pixel size
> which can be scaled to whatever frame size a user has without losing too
> much detail and without being too big.

Is SVG projection out of the question because of the computation time?
Scaling raster images with some real filter like Lanczos resampling will
preserve the content much better. For saving memory, paletted non
dithered 8bpp PNGs will pobably be acceptable as well.

-Vesa