Re: library problem in Cvpcb

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 01:35:58AM +0100, Fabrizio Tappero wrote:
> also, doing local tinkering (e.g. ~/.profile) might not help when
> users start KiCad from the icon.... does it?

The wonderful world of X startup script :D depending on the way X is
started (xinit, startx, display manager) and the kind of the environment
(session manager vs simple startup) different scripts are involved.

Since the startx/xinit way needs to be started from a user shell anyway,
the enviroment is already been set; that leaves the display manager
startup path.

However I think that a sane setup would either source the profile or use
a login shell at some point along the way: that would be typically done
in Xsession (or .xsession).

Another entry point for injecting session variables (defined only at
a system level but configurable per user) is pam_env, no idea if Debian
uses that.

So some study of how Debian does thing is needed. Of course the "Debian
way" of handling this (from their policy) is simply to hardcode the
default value in the executables at compile time (I've seen worse things
done for debianization...)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl