Re: Henner's component chooser for CvPcb...

On 23 February 2014 15:03, Fabrizio Tappero <fabrizio.tappero@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Man... just now that I've made a great icon for cvpcb... I personally like a
> lot cvpcb. it is one of those things that make KiCad good !

I don't think that the functionality of what cvpcb does now
will/should go away entirely. Having a tabular view of the whole BOM
essentially and quickly be able to review and change the one or other
footprint is great and needed, in particular in the final passes of a
project. Though it should not be an external program as it is now,
essentially communicating back and forth with files, which makes the
process tedious and error prone.

Being able to quickly choose the footprint while choosing a particular
component is useful in many other cases; you typically want to choose
an initial footprint for your component; often you already know,
because you spent some time choosing that component because of
different footprint choices. In that case, having it simple to select
the footprint while choosing the component is another important thing.

Like all tools, KiCad should allow to work in top-down and bottom-up
ways, as the iteration in the process of creating a great board goes
in these waves.

Anyway, let's wait unit the DLL-ification is in before we discuss the
details of how things could be addressed in the different angles of
these use-cases.

-h