Re: writing a new top level wxPython based project manager

Hi Dileep,

In answer to your question, what is the difference? :

1) On linux, both pros and cons:

a) you can use the standard linux package manager for the entire wxPython stack.

b) you will be at a wxPython version slightly behind what you'd be on for windows.

c) it will look better on your resume, anything linux looks good on a resume right now.

d) you could use Jean-Samuel's PPA for the KiCad binaries, which currently don't include
wxPython, but would constitute the balance of the software.  Or you could run
<kicad_src>/scripts/kicad_install.sh which brings in libraries, the kicad executables, and
installs the wxPython stack as a (heretofore unnecessary) dependency.

2) On windows, both pros and cons:

a) you have to make kicad-winbuilder succeed to get the proper wxPython stack.  If it does
not succeed, you will have to find help.

b) you may be more familiar with Windows.

c) because the wxPython version will be newer than the least common denominator of
wxWidgets and wxPython (on linux), you may inadvertently become dependent on a wxPython
feature not in wxPython in linux's (older) standard package.

Either way can work.

I am hoping that others will be generous with their time, and help you.  But again, you
have to keep the conversation on the mailing list.  Your last email was to me personally.

Dick