Re: Fwd: pcbnew crashes on start since #4757 because of libpython not loaded

Le 04/04/2014 15:04, Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :
> I'm sure you are not submitting this for a potential commit, right?
Clearly the objectif of this patch is NOT to be commit.
> Because:
>
> 1) The comment is below the line of text that it refers to.
Yes it's a paste an copy from a solution I found on the link:
http://bugs.python.org/issue19153
> 2) The comment is bullshit, boost is not part of the discussion.  The comment should read
> something like, "I don't know why this works, but is solves bug number ???.  It's temporary."
Yes I forgot to remove the comment when I copy... And of course it's
temporary to check If the workarround has effect...
I have try to find a solution by trace the library loading:
LD_DEBUG=all pcbnew
But the issue look to be due to a compilation option on some ubuntu
libs. Anyway I'm NOT sure of that...
> 3) You are adding python to 7 programs, only one of which is uses python.
Of course, I repeat this is NOT a patch to commit but a patch to check
if the issue is the same I found...
> 4) You are adding python to all operating systems, with no evidence that the problem
> extends beyond linux.
Same answer ;)
> 5) You are adding python to all build, even if python is not used at all, like my builds.
Same answer...
> It's basically stupid, without explanation, and no effort was to understand the problem.
> Its like taking medicine from your Grandmother's medicine cabinet without knowing what it
> does.  It might have embarrassing consequences.
As I explain before, it was to identify the issue. If it's fix for
others users, my idea was to apply this work arround ONLY for the ppa
building (if I keep the KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON option activated).
> I don't think it should be committed.  I had no idea that wxPython scripting was already
> so important and widely used.
On my ppa It's activated. One of the workarround I propose was to
DISABLE "KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON" on ppa. This is the purpose of my
first email...

> I think somebody needs to prepare a debugging version of python and single step into the
> DSO, the call stack at the point of crash passes through wxPyBeginBlockThreads(), and that
> is the first thing in the libpython.so that is called when called from _pcbnew.kiface.
> That's what I intend to do, when I get to it.
Yes it could be great but, as I see some, other software have this issue
on some Linux distribution.
I'm NOT sure of that, but as I understand the issue is ouside kicad...

Regards