Re: Diode pad names?

On 04/04/2014 10:45 PM, Carl Poirier wrote:
> I think this is a very good idea. I will add this to our upcoming
> KiCad library convention. Many transistors use letters already.

I do not agree for footprints, because - at least if I understand the
proposal correctly - it will lead to many many different footprints of
the same housing, i.e. an SOT23-EBC, an SOT23-SGD (for FETs), an
SOT23-CBE, an SOT23-A1-C-A2, an SOT23-A1-C1A2-C2 etc. pp. with all the
same dimensional data but different pad names.

I came to kicad from Eagle some years ago and I still believe
distinguishing between symbol-package-device to be the best solution
for this problem.

> As for capacitors, why not also using C and A for cathode and
> anode?

In my experience, the terminals of a capacitor are not called cathode
and anode.

YMMV,
Heiko

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM, jp charras <jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Le 04/04/2014 20:02, Nick Østergaard a écrit :
> <mailto:dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>>:
>>>

>>> I am in the process of migrating my personal footprint an
> schematic part libraries to
>>> using A and C for pad/pin names.
>>>
>>> Away from 1 and 2.
>>>
>>> Other than the fact that I now have the burden of maintaining
> every footprint and
>>> schematic part object myself relating to all things diode,
>>> from
> now to eternity, is this a
>>> bad idea?
>
> Since a long time, I am using A and K (or C for you) for diodes,
> EBC for bipolar transistors and GSD for FETs.
>
> I suggest you to also use + and - for polarized capacitors.

- --
eMails verschlüsseln mit PGP - privacy is your right!
Mein PGP-Key zur Verifizierung: http://pgp.mit.edu