Re: Library Convention

Hi Carl,

Thanks for giving me credit for the TH IC origin.
<SoapBox ON>
I can comment a bit on this.
The reason for pin-1 origin is because of the way the machines used for DIP insertion works.
In the 80’s, the leading manufacturer was Universal, but now quite a few far eastern manufacturers have appeared,but the technology has not developed much.
The TH Inserters are using grippers to hold the TH parts. There is no rotation of the placement head, instead the table holding the PCB rotate -90deg, 0, +90 deg and 180 deg.
There was no camera to register the location of the part, so it was imperative that the origin was on pin 1 always to simplify the programming of the machine, and consistency was a premium.
This not true for SMT as the SMT placement machine do not use grippers, but suction cups. So for SMT, the origin is best at the center of gravity of the part which is called the centroid.

For 17 years, I was the control authority for the master library of a very large company, so believe me if I tell you that it is not easy to get a consensus across tens of factories. I was successful in providing guidelines that saved my company millions of dollars, but I had to fight to make every see the light.
<SoapBox OFF>

I will be glad to help, and provide guidance for your effort as I am a strong supporter of open source.

Is there a document that describe where the system data files should be for each architecture?
I cannot find where the files should be on my OS X laptop, so what I have done might not be what should be done.
I hope Adam will be able to shed a light on that.
I am not an expert on cake files, so it is hard for me to address the situation. I need a document like "CMake for idiots”.
Then I will be able to help fix the OS X build. Right now, my build complete fine, but the exec files end up in the wrong location,
and the data files go somewhere I have not yet found.

Best regards,

Jean-Paul
AC9GH @ EN61vr99
louijp@xxxxxxxxx