From: Marco Serantoni <marco.serantoni@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:2014/05/06  12:59 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: Adam Wolf <adamwwolf@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Kicad-developers] KICAD_DATA on OS X

Adam,
I'm for /Library & ~/Library, first because they are coherent with the enviroment and wxStandardPaths.
We have discussed about that with Wayne not much months ago, we agree from much time about the correctness to use that class without reinvent the wheel, the differences were about ::GetUserConfigDir ::GetUserDataDir and fp_table, now the discussion could be easier to understand with updated documentation.

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_standard_paths.html#a7c7cf595d94d29147360d031647476b0

Placing things inside a bundle is nice, but is nice only for Support files that are immutable, libraries are not, they have  be changed.

/usr/local in osx is the same than ask an linux user to make a C:/windows directory in its root, moreover the Finder could not navigate those directory easly.

Try to take a look to common/systemdirsappend.cpp, i'vent seen deepier the changes but i don't think that points to /usr/local.

--
Marco