Gerber X2 support, useful?

There is a new release of the Gerber specification (J1). It defines
attributes to specify the function of a file or a pad. There is one
attribute that is immediately useful to me (because it has bitten me in the
past): an attribute that says what the Gerber file represents (copper,
mask, silk, etc.) and in the case of copper, its position in the stack.

Now, this is useful only when a PCB manufacturer supports this, but that
happens to be my luck: Eurocircuits (where I buy almost all PCBs) is
backing up this standard.

I have been looking to add Gerber X2 to KiCad. It requires a change in the
plotter interface, and I will probably need to touch a dozen files or so
(plus possibly adding a few).

Now I'd like to query before going ahead: is it a useful extension? Or
would I be the only one using it? In the latter case, it may be easier (for
me) to write a Gerber post-processor.

Regards,
Thiadmer Riemersma

Follow ups