Environment for development

Dear friends,
First of all thank you all for KiCad.
I would like to contribute to this project.
I am a chemist, but I have built some knowledge on electronics,
programming and pcb designing, because of chemical instrumentation.
Mainly I use pascal, c, avrgcc, but I believe I can adapt to C++.

Please let me know some basic environment that I can use to easily
combine all the needed tools to develop something useful.
Considering "useful" I don't know where to start from.
Is there something that I can help with?
Right now my ideas are kind of limited because I have to get used to the
source code
and the launchpad idea.
Thanks.