Re: Requesting your co-operation for new version of Oscad, a free and open source EDA tool

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Oscad Team <oscad.team@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Kicad developers,
>
> Greetings from Oscad Team, IIT Bombay, India! As you are already aware, we
> have developed Oscad a free and open source EDA Tool for circuit design,
> simulation, analysis and PCB design. Oscad uses KiCad for schematic creation
> and PCB design. It uses Ngspice for simulation. We have made an integrated
> environment where these tools can be independently called and executed. We
> have written parsers to interface the different tools.
>
> We are now planning to come up with a new version of Oscad, where in we
> would like to embed all our tools with-in KiCad itself. We would like to
> modify the source code of KiCad such that it generates a netlist that can be
> directly used with Ngspice. (Right now, we parse the KiCad netlist and make
> it an Ngspice compatible one). For this we plan to do the following:
>
> We shall add tools in eeschema to help user add simulation parameters for
> ac/dc/transient simulations
> We will add more "fields" to a component in eeschema. For eg., a Flipflop
> will have fields like setup time, hold time. A sinusoidal source will have
> fields like amplitude, frequency etc.
> We will modify the way a "Spice" netlist is generated from eeschema. The
> netlist generated will now be in Ngspice format
> We shall add tools to create "Spice models" for diodes, MOSFETs, BJTs etc
> from with-in eeschema.
> We shall add a tool that "calls" Ngspice from eeschema and simulates the
> Ngspice netlist.
>
> We would like to know your comments and feedback. We would also request your
> co-operation for the new version of Oscad, that we plan to build.
>
> Thanks
>
> Oscad Team

Hello Oscad Team,

The current KiCad roadmap, available from the official repo, includes
support for simulation. Have you considered joining the KiCad
developers team and taking up this work package? The end result would
be one software suite instead of two, with a stronger team behind.
FYI, we at CERN have started looking into simulation as well, partly
as a possible MSc thesis subject for one of our team mates, but also
in association with the need of thinking about RF and Microwave design
in KiCad. In that domain, it might also make sense to look at QUCS as
a possible simulation engine. We could discuss the details, come up
with a suitable blueprint to be included in the KiCad roadmap and take
it from there.

Cheers,

Javier