Re: CERN work package 4 (Extend number of layers)

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 06:07:18PM +0200, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> Looking at demos/video.kicad_pcb file, there are modules that use French
> layer names:
> (layers Cuivre Dessous.Pate Dessous.Masque)
> as well as the standard English ones or a mix of both:
> (layers *.Cu *.Mask Dessus.SilkS)

AFAIK this is an error, or, better, an old file. Giving the problems
stated before...  Last time I checked layers ID are the layer names which
are free for copper ones (the first 16) and fixed in stone for the
following 16. Number-to-id is specified in the beginning of the file (there
is a layer form at the beginning with the table)

So Cuivre is a copper name (usually copper) while Dessous.Pate
Dessous.Masque are plain wrong, these should be B.Paste and B.Mask (if
my french is good enough). They are recognized because they are pointing
to the right 'number' thru the name in the layer form (the real layer id
is the number, but in the sexp file it's always decoded thru the table).
In short, it works anyway for old files.

In fact if you do a 'save as' they change to the 'standard english'
ones. Ah, by the way, the *. shortcuts are simply hardcoded, there is no
pattern matching involved.

If it isn't working that way then something changed and I'm behind with
the specs. Sorry about that.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl