Re: CERN work package 4 (Extend number of layers)

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 02:20:12PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> user confusion.  Where would you save them in the old kicad_pcb file
> format after you made changes?  If Pcbnew where a read only application,
> then this would be less of an issue.

That's why I questioned if it would be desiderable...

The only thing I think would be possible to keep *backward*
compatibility is using optional forms, so if you don't use that feature
the file remain compatible (no strange layers and the file still loads).
I changed the quotation rules for the sexp in a backward compatible way
and now they are both LISP and kicad compatible.

PDF works in this way (unknown features are simply ignored), but it's
designed to be an 'append only' format. And obviously javascript doesn't
work in xpdf. However a PDF editor changing the rest of the file would
probably break the javascript stuff (at most it could preserve the script
object, but all the anchors could be broken...)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl