Re: CERN work package 4 (Extend number of layers)

Hi Rick,

You’re quoting me for something I didn’t write, I think it was Tom.

	I think our development team could find a way to handle this by having a via created with only a TOP and BOTTOM pad, and then during the routing, create a inner pad only on the layer where the trace continue. This could be an added attribute of the via, like a list of layers where the via barrel has an annular ring. The default list would have only Top or F.Cu and Bot or B.Cu, whatever is agreed upon.

	Pin escapes on large BGA are always a challenge as the annular ring take a lot of the real estate. Same thing with decoupling caps on those BGAs. There is not much room to place the caps real close to the point where it is really needed.

Jean-Piere and the core team will decide what is best. I can just watch and procrastinate as I am not good enough yet to offer code snippets to address such issues.

Jean-Paul
AC9GH