Re: CERN work package 4 (Extend number of layers)

Hi Jean-Paul,

> You're quoting me for something I didn't write, I think it was Tom.

My apologies. Sorry about that.

> I think our development team could find a way to handle this by having
> a via created with only a TOP and BOTTOM pad, and then during the
> routing, cr eate a inner pad only on the layer where the trace
> continue.  This could be an added attribute of the via, like a list of
> layers where the via barrel has an annular ring.  The default list
> would have only Top or F.Cu and Bot or B.Cu, whatever is agreed upon.

What would have made me happy is a just simple checkbox dialog under
Edit->via->annular-rings that would let me uncheck annular rings on
arbitrary layers.  If the bitmask structure is taken as stable, then all
you'd need is some kind of GUI to manipulate the bits.

The default would be all bits set, but going into the dialog would allow
unsetting the bits.  The result would simply be a persistant change in
the hex value stored in the bit mask.   Having just that feature
would have allowed me to do my BGA design without having to
programmatically generate all my footprint files with a script.

kind regards,
--
Rick Walker