Re: CERN work package 4 (Extend number of layers)

On 06.06.2014 00:58, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:

I remember your earlier work with importing STEP model data for the VRML
viewer. My opinion on using STEP models + 3D view is that we should use
a separate tool for that job. This avoids adding yet another monstrous
dependency to KiCad (OpenCascade) and avoids the expensive operations to
convert the model on-the-fly.

Hi Cirilo,

I can't agree here. One of the main reasons why we did the P&S router was lack of quality interactive router *integrated* in Kicad. We'd like to achieve the same with STEP support.

Including OCC as a dependency won't be a problem anymore once we have DLL/DSO plugins.

Regards,
Tom