Re: [Kicad-lib-committers] Silk screens over pads and naming

On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 11:35:26AM -0400, Jean-Paul Louis wrote:
> When the board is fully assembled, the outline is meaningless, only the RefDes keep its value.

Pin 1/polarization marks keep their value for inspection.

> And there is no difference in purpose between Through Hole and Surface Mounted parts.
> For polarized capacitors, I have seen a lot of different options, the most efficient one being a circle or a square with a “+” sign to show the polarity, The “+” sign or sometimes a dot being outside the shape.
> What is important is that the marking eliminate ambiguity, but does not jeopardize reliability. So it is VERY important that it does not touch or cover a solder area.

100% agree. The important thing is the + or dot polarity mark being
visible *after* placement, for inspection.

After the primary goals are achieved you could also do fancy screen or
whatever, of course...

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl