Re: Info about Extending the Gerber format with attributes

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 08:01:47PM +0200, jp charras wrote:
> Gerber X2 fixes a *major issue*: the stack order.
> Therefore IMHO, accepting X2 gerbers is not a matter of years.

The stack order issue was solved from the start with stackup drawings.
However having a standard and internal labelling in the file is nice.

> After loading a GERBER X2 file:
> Gerbview does not choke (run fine).
> Gerb does not choke ( has only some warnings)
> GC-Prevue does not choke ( has only one warning)

cam350 doesn't even recognize them as gerbers
gerbtool works fine (not even a warning, strangely)

> What do you mean? currently, Kicad does not know planes.

The problem is exactly that; the recommended way would be plot antipads
on planes, not plotting the plane 'around' the antipad. In practice
I don't agree with them, I don't see how could it give clearance
problems (if coordinates have sufficient resolution).

> If you are talking about negative objects in Gerber files examples, I do
> not see any reason to use negative objects in gerber files (at least for
> copper layers): this is known as a bad practice.

It's useful for split planes, and used by CAD systems which use power
planes with splits (i.e. special kind of layers declare as plane).

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl