Re: Static variables in module editor

On 06/10/2014 08:47 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> On 10.06.2014 15:22, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 08:15:44AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>> I think we need to save that footprint in the PROJECT.  Maybe put it there upon wxFrame
>>> destruction, and go get it upon wxFrame creation.  That makes it project specific.
>>
>> Wouldn't be better if the footprint were standalone? Footprints at the
>> end 'starts' in the libraries and 'ends' on a board (project). I'd say
>> the footprint in edit is logically in the footprint editor frame (so
>> theorically you could open more than one editor, a useful feature).
>>
>> If the footprint is simply picked from a lib for edit is there a project
>> associated? Maybe the default 'noname' project?
>>
>> It doesn't feel right to me having it tied to the project :P
>>
> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> To me it also looks simpler (and cleaner) to decouple the
> footprint/symbol editor. Just open a library file (not an entry from the
> lib table), edit a footprint/symbol, save the library and use it. That's
> how it works in most proprietary software.
>
> Tom

This hypothetical patch could have been submitted at any time in KiCad's history.

What I am doing now is preserving the existing UI, while at the same time picking up paste
and support for multiple open projects.

Tom, BTW, the fact that you addressed this email singly to Lorenzo, who is not actually
involved in the coding effort, I find very offensive.

I don't have any problem defending the current UI behaviour, right up to the point where
somebody offers an improvement in the form of a patch.  Even if that means disagreeing
with both Tom and Lorenzo.

And frankly, if I was going to write a pure library editor, free of project roots, then
I'd do it in python so I could manhandle the library tables.  Nothing happens without
taking those into consideration without losing the storage file format abstraction that we
have in place.

Dick