Re: [Kicad-lib-committers] Silk screens over pads and naming

On 13/06/14 20:44, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 08:33:02PM +0100, John Beard wrote:
>> OK, I won't worry too much about it and get one with making more
>> footprints! Are there any more things you'd like to see changed? No
>> matter how tiny!
>
> These are already *way* nicer than the ones I use at the moment:D

Thanks! Please, please, tell me at once if any footprints can be
improved and I can update my methods. I'm very keen to make the KiCad
libs better than anything else out there! :-)

> You know, usually is better if the circuit works as intended rather than
> having nice drawings.

Sure, but when writing a tool that can generate hundreds of components
at a time, might as well take the time to get them looking nice! It also
helps to refine the script that generates them, as the more you change,
the more refactoring you end up doing!

> Nice drawings however are a bonus, like the 3D view (never had a good
> reason to use it)

In practice, me neither, but now the mech guys can (hopefully) import
the new KiCad output, maybe I can start! I definitely think footprints
come before 3D models, but I would really like KiCad to be able to ship
with a comprehensive library of both, that would be great selling
(giving?) point.

Cheers,

John