Re: Info about Extending the Gerber format with attributes

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I'm sure you already thought of this but making X2 gerbers a plot option
> solves both problems and it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.
> It's probably safer this way just in case someone has a board vendor
> that cannot handle the X2 gerbers.

I have just submitted a patch that does the above.

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 08:01:47PM +0200, jp charras wrote:

> > Drill files as plots are cute but nothing extraordinary; they could have
> > their use but I don't see them replacing excellon or s&m tapes...
>
> Excellon works fine, no need to replace this format.

An advantage would be that the new Gerber specification allows to indicate
per hole:
- whether it is plated or non-plated
- what layer sets the hole goes through (for blind & buried vias)

So it makes the drill report mostly redundant.

Regards,
Thiadmer Riemersma