Re: thermal pads

On 06/23/2014 08:39 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 02:45 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:28:20AM +0200, jp charras wrote:
>>> PAD_CONN type was initially just a PAD_SMD with no solder paste (just
>>> because a edge connector pad needs only a NiAu plating).
>>
>> PAD_CONN as a separate type IMHO has no reason to exists exactly because
>> is a simple smd pad without a layer, i.e. has no special behaviour
>> attached to it...
>>
>> I'd suggest to simply remove it as a pad type and convert it to an SMD
>> pad (unless of course there actually is a place where PAD_CONN has
>> a different semantic than PAD_SMD). grep would help here :P
>>

> Astonishingly, I tend to agree.
>
> Why does PAD_CONN deserve a life and not PAD_THERMAL?  When does it end?

Let me simply say more clearly that I don't take a strong stand on the proper solution, I
simply need to use the software.

There are more than one correct solutions.

If I can work around the issue using PAD_CONN that would be fine.  However, that name was
new to me, and CONN did not yell out "edge connector".  It sounded like a through hole
connector in the UI.  So maybe the UI needs some clarity.

In summary, when I think of CONN it does not connote edge connector to me.