Re: Linux target

> I use Linux only for development of embedded systems, and would like to
get relatively recent copies of
> Kicad, Spice, Code::Blocks, OpenOCD, GDB, etc.  But every off the shelf
distro seems to only have two year
> old releases of at least one of these packages

Have a look at Arch Linux or one of its derivatives that has a GUI right
from the start, like Manjaro Linux. The bleeding edge software is in the
repositories. You can also build the latest KiCad automatically with the
package kicad-bzr from the Arch User Repository.