wishlist for 3D models

I'm writing down some items for my 3D viewer/export wishlist and I'd
like to hear people's opinions on some items.

With regards to the models which 3DViewer will use, we currently have
VRML1 and 2 and x3d. The IDF exporter will only use IDF outlines. It
would be nice to have some sharing of models when possible - for example
if an IDF outline exists for a component which has no VRML model, the
user can employ the IDF outline to help populate the 3D view. This
can be achieved by having objects which are responsible for loading each
type of model and which can pass mesh data to anyone who requests it.
Such a mesh object model may also allow the use of STEP and IGES models
in 3DViewer and the IDF exporter in the future. I imagine something of
the sort is already partly implemented and will develop some more as the
3D model caching is implemented.

What I have on my wishlist is:

1. 3DViewer and VRML exporter: should be able to make use of IDF outlines
(or step + iges) but only if the user clicks an option box. The reason
for making it an option is that a user may wish to include many different
models but for different purposes (VRML,x3d for 3D viewer and exporter,
IDF for the IDF exporter, and STEP/IGES for a STEP exporter) and in other
cases the user just wants some idea of what the board may look like and
will make use of whatever models are available.

2. IDF exporter: at the user's request, the exporter should make use of
VRML/x3d and/or step/iges files to create IDF outlines for models which
do not have an IDF outline.

3. implement a STEP Assembly exporter: I've given up on waiting for
FreeCAD to mature so the next big thing I'll work on will be implementing
STEP assembly exports for MCAD users.  This will serve as a better
alternative to IDF since any good MCAD will support STEP and IGES; IDF
support is more sporadic and SolidWorks as an example will only support
IDF if you pay the highest license fee. Another advantage to dealing
with STEP is that AP203 and AP214 are part of the PSI-5 specification
(ECAD/MCAD collaboration) and in the dream world KiCad will have
PSI-5 capability in the future. As part of this work I'll also implement
on-the-fly conversion of STEP for use by the 3D viewer; I have Orson's
example code as a starting point for that.

Any comments/suggestions?

- Cirilo

Follow ups